I haven’t really put much up here lately, and I was reminded of something my English teacher told me when I was in 6th grade:
“Most of the greatest authors, on average, only ever really wrote 10 words a day over a year.Â It’s not that hard to write, but it is hard to be diligent about it.”
She’s right .. so, from now till the end of the year, lets see if I can post at least 10 words a day.
How hard can it be?
So, after two years at Amazon AWS .. and being charged $80/mo, I’ve made the move to Rackspace. Â They have virtual server instances for as little as a couple pennies an hour, and they are more than robust enough to run my blog and the other services I use. Â Plus, they have a fantastic flexible storage subsystem that I can use for data lockers.
So .. goodbye AWS, hello Rackspace Cloud.
For the record, the move from one to the other took 2 hours. Â Neat.
Ah, the joys of travel. Today takes me from Boston to DC, then DC to Austin TX.
I should have slept more…
Austin today is sitting at 26F… good gosh it’s cold. The hackerspace is a wearhouse with no heat, so I’m seriously considering renting a propane fan heater for tomorrow.
So, thoughts from 2009.. Resolutions in Review:
- Bring at least one entrepreneurial enterprise from sketchpad to market
- success! I designed, created, and sold Hack The Badge boards this year.
- Earn at least $100,000 and invest at least $30,000
- success! By taking a job with a start up in Austin, TX (smooth-stone) and diverse investing in my 401k, real estate, and stocks, I have reached this goal.
- Learn to properly play the third movement of the Moonlight Sonata from end to finish
- fail 🙁 Unfortunately, I am still stumbling in the midsection of this piece. I hope that I will have more time to practice it and get better.
- Lose 50 pounds and go out and walk at least every other day
- partial fail I am going and exercising every other day on a treadmill or walking. However, this did not result in any weight loss. The new medication I’m on (statin) has even resulted in a bit of water-weight gain. Poo.
- Bike at least once a week
- success! I am using the stationary bike at the gym at least once a week. I definitely feel stronger, and able to ride longer distances. My recent bout with bronchitis makes this a real challenge.
- Draw at least one webcomic a week, and post it here
- fail 🙁 Turns out, I really, really, REALLY suck at drawing. I’ve got a big ol stack of ideas though, so I may try to make this a 2010 resolution.
- Write in this blog at least once a day, every day, for 365 days.
- success! I switched from posting in this blog to posting in Plurk (microblogging site) and have successfully done it for every day in the year. Four quotes a day, for 365 days. WOOT!
Not too bad .. not too bad at all.
I just woke up screaming in a night sweat from a nightmare I can’t quite remember. The last time I can remember this happening I think I was 16… scared the crap out of my parents.
I dimly feel like I was falling from a great height… â€¢shudderâ€¢
So, it’s been a while since my last post. I’ve been up to a bit…
Moved into new apartment end of Sept
Building my own furniture