So, this is try #2 to have my iPhone battery issues resolved. The phone has started to reset/power down on it’s own randomly, and this is definitely a hardware or battery issue. Last time I came the Genius indicated that it might be a ‘software corruption’ issue, and reset my iPhone without restoring the software.
This involved restoring the contacts from mobileme, which luckily went without a hitch. I’m syncing the phone with mobileme and made a backup at home just in case.
Lets see what they do for try #2
I lost my spot (10 minute reservations) and it took about an hour to get a Genius to ‘slide me in’ to the schedule. A bit frustrating, but that’s directly in proportion to the difficulty in getting a parking space at the Domain.
After a quick examination, the Genius at the bar determined that the issues I was experiencing warranted a replacement unit. It took him about 5 minutes to get a new unit, swap out the SIM card, and send me on my way. The new phone synced it’s contacts back from MobileMe, and I was off and running.
Today marks a pretty cool day at the space .. we put in the ceiling joists and are framing up the rooms. One more day and the first four 8×10 workspaces are done! We also paid Les our deposits, and more material was bought for the buildout. Next week will be mostly about cleaning and getting some areas ready for having people come over.
Today was _awesome_ .. Eight of us came to the space at noon, and really got a solid day’s work in building out our new hackerspace. Today lots of sheetrock got put up, and one of the workshop spaces was fully framed in (door, window, etc) and we’re getting ready to put ceilings in. What used to be a huge pile of pine studs is now down to a dozen or so, and it’s just another day’s work or so to finish up the other two workshop spaces.
It’s COOOOOOOOLD in Austin right now. Today never got over 40F, and tonight it’s going to be a chill 26 degrees. BRRR.
Don’t get me wrong, there’s still LOTS of work to do .. the classroom still needs to be cleaned, there’s still bunches of stuff all over the place, and the bathrooms aren’t finished. It’s just wonderful to make quick and steady progress, one weekend at a time.
So .. here are some of today’s photos:
Austin today is sitting at 26F… good gosh it’s cold. The hackerspace is a wearhouse with no heat, so I’m seriously considering renting a propane fan heater for tomorrow.
Today ROCKED. We got a good ten people in, and put some serious work into building some partitioned rooms in the hack space. Here’s a preview:
So, thoughts from 2009.. Resolutions in Review:
- Bring at least one entrepreneurial enterprise from sketchpad to market
- success! I designed, created, and sold Hack The Badge boards this year.
- Earn at least $100,000 and invest at least $30,000
- success! By taking a job with a start up in Austin, TX (smooth-stone) and diverse investing in my 401k, real estate, and stocks, I have reached this goal.
- Learn to properly play the third movement of the Moonlight Sonata from end to finish
- fail 🙁 Unfortunately, I am still stumbling in the midsection of this piece. I hope that I will have more time to practice it and get better.
- Lose 50 pounds and go out and walk at least every other day
- partial fail I am going and exercising every other day on a treadmill or walking. However, this did not result in any weight loss. The new medication I’m on (statin) has even resulted in a bit of water-weight gain. Poo.
- Bike at least once a week
- success! I am using the stationary bike at the gym at least once a week. I definitely feel stronger, and able to ride longer distances. My recent bout with bronchitis makes this a real challenge.
- Draw at least one webcomic a week, and post it here
- fail 🙁 Turns out, I really, really, REALLY suck at drawing. I’ve got a big ol stack of ideas though, so I may try to make this a 2010 resolution.
- Write in this blog at least once a day, every day, for 365 days.
- success! I switched from posting in this blog to posting in Plurk (microblogging site) and have successfully done it for every day in the year. Four quotes a day, for 365 days. WOOT!
Not too bad .. not too bad at all.
I just woke up screaming in a night sweat from a nightmare I can’t quite remember. The last time I can remember this happening I think I was 16… scared the crap out of my parents.
I dimly feel like I was falling from a great height… •shudder•
Well, the theory the Genius had seems not to hold. The phone is still acting oddly, so I’ll likely go back.
Now .. there is one other thing. The power of the Apple Store compelled me … oh god did it ever compel me. Allow me to show you what happens when you need to do a Capital Expenditure for a business near the end of the year:
So my bright shiny new Apple 3GS now has a total battery life of .. oh .. a couple hours once it’s charged. No matter what I do, it drains in my pocket faster than a cat slides across teflon.
So, I’m at the Apple Store to see what they can do about my poor little phone’s plight.
Well, the Genius at the bar thinks it might be software corruption in the backup. Gods, if that’s the case I don’t want to even try rebuilding all my software configurations, settings, and stuff. As it is, he’s blanking out the iPhone to a factory fresh restore, and then the contacts will sync back in using Mobile Me.